Thursday, October 19, 2006

Conversation (abridged)

You know how sometimes you see somebody in a crowd and you're SURE you know him/her, but you can't figure out how? It's tricky because you don't want to NOT approach somebody you DO know, but you don't want to interrupt somebody you DON'T know just to confirm that you don't know them. Or, worse, you don't want to interrupt somebody to determine that you DO know them, but remember during the course of the conversation that you really don't WANT to know them, and that's why you'd blocked them from your memory in the first place.

Anyway, I was at Lotus last night, and I kept noticing this insanely familiar-looking guy. After an hour of trying to figure it out, I finally walked up to him and his (I'm assuming, but I think it's a pretty safe assumption) partner and had the following highly memorable conversation, which I've edited to spare you the boring parts. I do want you to know, though, that he was not joking.

Me: Hi. I'm sorry to interrupt you, but you look so familiar to me. Do I know you?
Guy: Hmm. Well, let's see. Do you hang out in any crack dens in Harlem?
Me: Um. Well, I... N-no, I don't.
Guy: Huh. What about -- Do you volunteer at [a rehab center]?
Me: I don't, no.
Guy: Hmmm.
Me: Maybe we don't run in the same circles.
Guy: Maybe not.

Anyway, later in the evening I decided that he was familiar because he resembles an actor in a movie I've seen a half-dozen times. But I've since realized that I HAVE met this guy before, so my mind is at ease. And, no, I didn't meet him at a crack den.

3 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

I would like to add to this post by mentioning last night, at an entirely different affair, a girl walked up to Beth Ann and said "Oh my gosh, you look SO familiar to me!!!"

After all of us cracking up because we had just been talking about how many people do that to Beth Ann, she nearly responded, "Do you hang out in any crack dens in Harlem?"

But luckily she told the girl the previously blogged story first, then said "Do you hang out in any crack dens in Harlem?" And the girl laughed and admitted she was happy she got the story first, or she'd have been very weirded out.

10/21/2006 01:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beth Ann, I want to say that you and all the OHIJ crowd are such good writers. I think you have a future as a speech writer at the Pentagon. Your riff on Do I Know You? has a vaguely Rumsfeldian cadence: there are the things we know we know, the things we know we don't know, the things that we don't know we don't know ...

So, what was the movie that you saw a half dozen times? Groundhog Day?

10/31/2006 02:33:00 PM  
Blogger Liz/Beth Ann said...

Rumsfeldian? Oh, no. I'll try not to do that again.

The movie I've seen a half dozen times (probably more, actually) is So I Married An Axe Murderer, which makes me laugh so hard that it just never gets old.

At any rate, here's an important update to this blog entry: Tonight, at around 10pm, I boarded the PATH train at the World Trade Center, sat down, and looked up to see that sitting directly across the car from me was the Harlem crack den guy featured in this blog entry!! I couldn't believe it! He was dressed in a tux, looked like he was about to collapse, and got off a stop before I did. I think he must lead a double life.

11/02/2006 01:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? NJ Bloggers # >