Thursday, October 27, 2005

Different stokes for different folks........... (a quick word on the negative)

This is an interesting topic, that has arisen in the blog, through my Yoga studies and through many of Bill Murray film’s. I have always been trying to grasp the concept, Lets begin with ‘the half empty glass’. I have to admit the idea that having a glass half empty rather than having it half full has been something that I hear time and time again, I wonder and worry about it.
For example I am always looking to fill my ‘glass’ up. However I don’t believe it is such a bad thing to look at a glass and say it is half empty anymore than if it was half full. More importantly there is a failure of acceptance going here of a different point of view, I find people who view the opposite (half full glass) are the ones who disagree and tend to be more negative and have an accusational tone to the opposite, as the criticism itself is a negative. AND for some reason they continually insist on pointing it out, virtually kicking someone who is down, when they are down.
Also the glass doesn’t always feel half empty, it can sometimes feel full and ever overflowing as if you love everyone and everything in the world, flying high, nothing can bring you down your completely at one with the world. Sometimes it can feel completely empty, as if you are being sucked down a hole at the bottom of your glass, deep into despair and darkness never to be seen again. Being aware of the subtle (or extreme) differences in your own life and the dramatic changes is surly what it means to be and feel alive. If this is a negative, then I say it is naive to assume the glass will always remain at the same fill level.

It has actually taken me some time to come to terms with the fact that I am ‘the dark’ member of the household and it is something which I now embrace wholeheartedly. I have always been attracted to negative undercurrents, how should I put it , the less pretty sides of life. As Beth-Ann wrote ‘she wouldn’t have it any other way’ and neither would I.
Along with every great artist or musician through history, I take the blame for every thing bad that happens, I take on the hardships of life as if it is a personal tragedy, rather than cloud them with the ‘sunny side up’ or live without a social conscience.
To be honest I really believe that if you face the negative straight on then for me at least I can get it out of my system and enjoy what I do love in the world. I also find a lot of positives and creativity in depressing people which I find a lot of ‘positive’ people rarely think about, hardly scraping the surface of a person’s personality. Often flaws/personalities/intimacies/beauties/differences/disagreements are missed or worse still not accepted or misunderstood. There should be more of a Live and let live attitude to the glass, (or as they say in Scotland Drink and let Drink attitude) as everyone should be allowed to be who they are.
I also find that it is part of a creative process for me too, if I am REAlly negative it means I am having a creative imbalance in my life and I need to paint, play music, or whatever.....
some of the best music ever written has come from the suffering of negative people who were actually clinically depressed, most of the great artist, musicians, comedians and writers were chronically depressed, running from it through there art or through addiction. It molds them, shapes them, taunts them and is why WE all love them.


Moray’s final thought for the day: (Go Moray, Go Moray)

Life’s hard, it ain’t right and as a human being I find I can’t turn away from the shite side’s of it. However the darker side’s to life are just as important as the lighter side’s. So perhaps you are miserable, perhaps you are ecstatic 24/7, the main thing is to be who you are and live your life in a way that doesn’t harm other’s or yourself, balanced and acceptance is the way you should look at your glass, balanced is the way you should live your life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? NJ Bloggers # >