Tuesday, September 19, 2006

It be time t' celebrate, matey!

This blog entry goes out to my Dad, who left a comment indicating that he is just itching to know how our celebration went over the weekend. (Hi, Dad!) But alas, there are no fabulous party stories to report. Due to scheduling conflicts, we made the difficult decision to cancel Saturday night's festivities. Our lampshades remain un-disrupted.

But not to worry, revelers! Because today, September 19th, is International Talk Like a Pirate Day. Arrr! Celebrate!

My favorite Talk Like a Pirate Day was about three years ago, when I had the following hilarious conversation with the CEO-equivalent of the place where I worked. As you read it, you have to imagine both of us laughing in a completely un-pirate fashion. I've edited for brevity, but here's the gist (jist?):

Me: Ahoy, me hearty!
Him: What? What are you doing now?
Me: It's Talk Like a Pirate Day.
Him: Pirate Day?
Me: Arrrr.
Him: Pirate Day?
Me: TALK Like a Pirate Day.
Him: What's Talk Like a Pirate Day?
Me: You talk like a pirate. All day.
Him: That's ridiculous. Who in the world does this?
Me: Lots of people. It's a national holiday. [Note: It's actually an International holiday, I've since discovered.]
Him: Well, then, then, then, well, then, why not have an Elephant Day?
Me: What would happen on Elephant Day, matey?
Him: I don't -- this is ridiculous. Who would celebrate a holiday like Pirate Day?
Me: Hey now. I don't make fun of YOUR holidays.
Him: [sigh]
Me: Do I have to go see [the HR representative]?
Him: This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
Me: Arrrr!
Him: [groan]

Hee hee. That was the best response to Talk Like a Pirate Day I've seen so far.

Last year was a very understated Talk Like a Pirate Day for me, because I'd only started my job a few weeks before and I wasn't sure how my new coworkers would respond if the new girl showed up and started calling everyone scurvy dogs.

But this year I feel confident that my colleagues already think I'm nuts (actual quote from my boss: "There are going to be lots of really batty, wacky people there. You should come."). So I can't really do any career damage just by suggesting that ye walk the plank if the mail is late.

I plan to use the word "chumbucket" this year.

But first I have t' hit the sack. It be late.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aye mateys, Talk Like A Pirate Day be here at last! All bilge rats who refuse to elbow up and join in the festivities should walk the plank for they have a date with Davey Jones' Locker.

My favorite TLAPD was last year at Time Frame where one of my co-workers and I tried to keep it up all day. We repeatedly threatened the office printers with walkin' the plank. Dave (my boss) was not amused to say the least.

Arr and Ahoy and Avast! Have a wonderful Talk Like A Pirate Day to all in the House In Jersey.

9/19/2006 01:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? NJ Bloggers # >